The Project File Details
- Name: ANALYSIS OF THE PROBLEMS OF AGRICULTURAL CREDIT TO FARMERS
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [102 KB]
- Length:  Pages
The ever determining food production in Nigeria has prompted development or administration (military and civilian) both present and past to formulate programmed to ameliorate or arrest this situation.
One of such programmed is the agricultural credit facilities scheme, which is being implemented through commercial banks. Sequel to this the researcher examined the problems of obtaining loan for financing agricultural production in Edo state.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Farmer need productive resources and these resources are acquired with owned or borrowed fund. Agriculture is very important to the economic of most developing countries of the world and because of this, a supply of adequate farmer finance is essential for natural well bring.
Since agriculture is the backbone of the Nigeria economy providing employment to about 70% of its population yet this important sector has suffered healect since the oil boom days. Agriculture has totally declined since the early 1970s Nigeria export crops such as groundnut, palm oil and external have evaluate disappeared and the country is a net importer of food crops. Agriculture recorded growth rate in 1975 at about 2.6% while the population grew at about 70% compared to 57-7% in 1993 economic growth summit (1995) the small scale farmers according to the national agricultural policy document for Nigeria (N.A.P.O.N) constitute over 90% of the food and fiber requirement of Nigeria on the other hand large scale farmers produce has than 1% of farm out put in Nigeria but they tend to have greater access to farmer inputs including farm credit or loan.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
This study is to investigate the analysis of the problem associated with obtaining credit for financing agricultural production in Edo state. It would be seen that many problems arise the most for mixable problem encounter by the farmers in the area.
- The inability of the farmers to meet the collateral security acquired by the commercial bank is a major problem hindering agricultural sectors. This is as a result where farmers have nothing to deposit in the process of obtaining credit for agriculture.
- High interest rate is another factor that discourage farmers from obtaining credit in most commercial banks, payment of interest involve when fund is borrowed.
- The low educational background of the farmers also constitutes hindrance in obtaining agricultural credit.
- Credit facilities are not easily accessible to small scale farmers.
- The bureaveratie native involved in the process of obtaining credit ot loans for agricultural purpose have not being encourage on the part of the farmers. It is on the note that the researcher intends to identify some of the hindering factors in order to proffer solution.
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The main aim of the this study is to find the major problems of obtaining credit or loan for financing agricultural production in Nigeria with particular reference to Edo state. The objectives of the study are:
- To identify the problem militating against adequate financing of agriculture.
- To enumerate and analyze the agricultural credit granted to farmers in recent years.
- To know how much the commercial banks have help in financing agriculture.
- To look how agriculture has developed especially in Edo state.
- To create awareness of the problem posed by agricultural financing inadequacies.
- To investigate how these problems can be tackled.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
- This research study will be important to those future researchers in economic and agricultural science who would like to use it as a reference material or for further investigation.
- This study is to create awareness to farmers in Edo state, the reasons of low agricultural production and also to bring to the notice of the general public loans for financing agricultural production in the locality.
- It will form a good basis to the government for the formulation of policies.
- To serve as encouragement to those farmers in the area of study.
Some question to be tackled in the course of this study has been rise as follows.
- Is collateral security a problem of obtaining credit from commercial banks?
- Does high interest rate increase the incidence of bad debt?
- Does educational background hinder the potentials of obtaining credit?
- Is a credit facility accessible for small scale farmers?
- Does bureaulrate process pose a lot of problem or obtaining loans to farmers?
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is aimed at providing details knowledge and understanding of the operation, function and to determine the problems of obtaining loans for financing agricultural production in Edo state through the federal government agricultural credit guarantee scheme (F.G.A.C.G.S) found since 1977. With the view of providing useful suggestion to ease the problem of agriculture development in Nigeria; It is directly towards the application of problems obtained for financing agriculture view of this more emphasis will be placed on the success of credit facilities lending procedure as a criteria of measurement. The performance of the commercial banks in this regard will be assessed by using the present farmers areas to the agricultural credit facilities as well as the hindrance which the small scale farmers faces in obtaining loans from financial institution.
LIMITATION OF THE PROBLEMS
In this study a number of limiting factors were observed.
- Time factor is one of the major limiting factors there would not be enough time to travel round the whole state to interview the farmers collectively.
- The problem or in accessibility of some of the local government in Edo state.
- There were financial constrains and as a result, the researcher was limited to only Ovia North East local government.
- The unwillingness on the part of some farmers to open up also contribute to the problems.
- Another limiting factor of the study is that the banks may not like to give out the correct information as to the loan method they adopt in case of loan default.
However all these limiting factors will of course affect quality of the result of this research work since the work will be based on the available information?
DEFINITION OF TERMS
LOAN OR CREDIT FOR AGRICULTURE OF AGRICULTURAL CREDITS
Refers to the process of obtaining control over the use of money, goods and services in the present for a promise to repay at a future date.
AGRICULTURAL FINANCE: This means ways and means by which a farmers obtain the entire necessary fund required in order to carryout agricultural production.
INTEREST: This means the price paid for the use of borrowed money and is usually expressed as a percent on an annual basis.
COLLATERAL: This means anything offered as a promise of loan repayment to be given to a lender in cast of non-payment.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.