The Project File Details
- Name: BANKER-CUSTOMERS RELATIONSHIP IN NIGERIA BANKING INDUSTRY WITH SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON RIGHTS AND DUTIES
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [160 KB]
- Length:  Pages
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title Page i
Table of Contents xiv
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
- Background of the study 1
- Statement of the research problems 4
- Objective and purpose of the study 4
- Scope and limitation of the study 5
- Research methodology 6
- Significance of the study 7
- Definition of unfamiliar terms / concept 8
- Organization and plan of the study 9
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
- Definition of a bank, banker and customer 10
- The nature of banker-customer relationship 12
- The rights and duties of a banker and a customer 15
- The implication of banker-customer relationship 21
- The termination of banker customer relationship 23
CHAPTER THREE: CASE STUDY AND METHODOLOGY
- Historical background of union bank plc 27
- Mode of data collection 30
- Design and data collection instrument 31
- Characteristic of the study population and sampling 34
- Administration of the data collection instrument 33
- Procedure for processing collected data 33
- Limitation of the methodology 34
CHAPTER FOUR: DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
- A brief introduction of the chapter 35
- Presentation of data 36
- Presentation of data according to the annual report 36
- Analysis of data based on questionnaire administered 43
- Analysis of data according to annual report 47
CHAPTER FIVE: FINDINGS, SUMMARY, RECOMMENDATION AND CONCLUSION
- Summary of the findings 48
- Summary and conclusion 49
- Recommendation 51
- Suggestion for further study 53
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Before going into the subject of this study “banker customer relationship” it is very essential to have an insight into what a banker’s and who really is a customer from the time immoral, it has been a difficult and controversial task to find an acceptable definition of a banker because of the diverse activities carried out by banks. But according to Decree No 12 of 1990 section 16 (1) of the chartered institute of bankers define a banker as “a person who in consideration of remunerations received to be received engage himself in the practice of banking procedures.
It is also essential to identify what a bank is though there are so many definition of the World Bank. However, we shall try as much as possible to see a few of the definition as proffered by scholars.
According to 2 (1) of bill of exchange act of 1990 defined a bank as “a body of person whether incorporated or not who carry on the business of banking”.
While according to Dr. Hebert Hart tries to defined a bank as “a person or company carrying on business of receiving monies and collecting draft for customers receiving monies and collecting draft for customers subject to the obligation of honouring cheque drawn upon them from time to time by customers to the extent of the amount available on their current account.
Meanwhile, different people visit banks for different reasons, while some people visit banks to cash their personal cheques or issued in this favour, other go to deposit cash or cheques it was however decided in TREAT WESTERN RAILWAY V. COUNTRY BANKING COMPANY LIMITED (1901) that a customer is a person who has “some sort of account either deposit or current of some similar relation with a bank”.
However, having some sort of account with a bank is not a condition precedent to be a customer.
Due to the bankers customer relationship, the customer and banks have obligatory rights and duties which they own each other and it shall be briefly discussed primarily the nature of the banker customer relationship is contractual. The nature of the banker – customer relationship being special, generally and essentially contractual can take place in the following forms.
- Debtor – creditor relationship
- Principal agent relationship
- Bairlor-Bailee relationship
- Mortagor – mortgagee relationship
- Executor – Trustee relationship.
Furthermore, in view of the banker-customer relationship banks peforms and renders service to their customer and their services candidly draw researcher’s attention.
1.2 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
The project has been able to provide answer to the following research question.
- What is a bank and a banker?
- Who is a customer?
- In what way can a banker – customer relationship exist?
- What are the right and duties of a banker?
- What are the right and duties of a customer?
- How can the banker-custom relationship be established?
- Can the banker-customer relationship be terminated?
1.3 OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The following has been the aim and the objectives of the study.
- To explain the meaning of a bank and a banker
- To highlight who a customer is
- To highlight the relationship between the banker-customer
- To enumerate the right and duties of a banker
- To enumerate the right and duties of a customer
- To highlight the implication of banker-customer relationship
- To expatiate the termination of banker-customer relationship
1.4 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research is making a study basically on banker-customer relationship and their rights and duties arising from this relationship much work would be based on the nature of banker-customer relationship and various services rendered by bankers to their customer.
Furthermore, this project has been restricted to commercial banks since they dealt largely with purely descriptive in nature and concentrate on union bank plc
This research has a lot of limitation in it make-up which has due to the diversity of the topic. The methodology has limited by a number of factors. Firstly, some respondents might refused to return their questionnaire. Also responses to the question might not necessarily represent the opinion of the respondents despite the techniques used to obtain a fair representative sample and there by reduced bias to the minimum.
More so, time and finance constraints are other factors or a difficulty that has been encountered during the course of data collection, this has not allowed us to visit all the Union bank plc. Thus data collection will be limited.
1.5 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
The use of primary and secondary mode of data collection is of greater help to this research work. The instrument used for collection of primary data are as follows: The presentation of questionnaire and personal interview which was conducted with some of the worker in union bank of Nigeria plc.
The source of data collection is secondary data includes the following, the use of text books, magazine, newspaper, lecturer-note and annual report from the bank.
All the collected has been analyzed through the descriptive statistic and inferential statistic method.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This project work is basically designed to focus on the nature of banker customer relationship and services which the banker rendered to their customer; it is also designed to serve the interest of the readers like students, bank customer and member of the society. A general readers who has no previous knowledge of banking and it also in treat in findings out what the subject is all about would find this project very educative and helpful.
1.7 DEFINITIONS OF (UNFAMILIAR TERMS/ CONCEPTS)
- Bank: This is a person or company carrying on business of receiving monies and collecting draft for customers subject to the obligation of honoring cheques drawn upon them from time to time by customer to the extent of the amount available on their current account.
- Banker: This is a person who in consideration of remunerations received or to be received engage him self in the practice of banking procedure.
- Customer: This is a person who maintains and open an account with a banker enjoys any of the service of a bank.
- Relationship: This is a contractual agreement between the banker and the customer which is legally binded and has legal consequences.
1.8 ORGANIZATION AND PLAN OF THE STUDY
This research work is divided into five main chapters and each chapter has the following content.
Chapter one is the general introduction consisting of the aim and objectives of the study, significance of the study and limitation of the study.
Chapter two dealt with the literature review the purpose of reviewing all known (literature that has relevance to the topic being discussed in the project work.
Chapter three dealt with data collection and research methodology.
Chapter four dealt with data presentation and data analysis using descriptive and inferential statistics method.
Chapter five is concerned with the findings, summary, conclusion recommendation and references.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.