The Project File Details
- Name: CASH MANAGEMENT IN MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES (A CASE STUDY OF MR BIGGS ENUGU)
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [161 KB]
- Length:  Pages
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of content
- Background of the study
- Statement of the study
- Objectives of the study
- Research questions
- Significance of the study
- Scope of the study
- Limitations of the study
- Definition of terms
- Review of related literature
- The proper and effective cash management
- What medium scale firms are
- Relationship to the study
- The aid and techniques towards the study
- Problem of the medium scale firm
- The problem of improper management of cash
- Ways to ensure availability of cash for business operation
3.1 Research methodology
3.2 Research design
3.3 Population of the study
3.4 Sample and sampling procedure
3.5 Sources of data
3.6 Methods of data collection
3.7 Method of data analysis
- Presentation and analysis of data
- Statistical treatment and analysis of data
- Summary and Conclusion
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
History of various developing countries has shown that industrial revolution had been the main brain behind their economic survival their great financial strength was built up principally through the acquisition of industrial and technological power. Medium scale firms indisputably constitute the bed rock for meaningful industrialization and consequently the acquisition of industrial and technological power. Without exception all sign industrial organizations either multinational or indigenous started in a small way or their own various levels.
It is observed that the distress to establish medium scale enterprises is the underlying factor of an individual action to help the developing country as a whole. It is the largest single programme and one of the municipal instruments of community development. To sustain the continuity of a medium scale enterprises though cash and it’s effective utilization is a necessity. Cash has been as the life, blood of any enterprises. Every business organization needs cash to invest in operations, to pay it’s obligation as they become due to and to provide rheum to investors in the form of interest and individuals. Cash is the money which a business organization and disburse immediately without any restriction. What is regarded as cash, with regards to a medium scale firm, undertaking includes coins, currency and cheques held by an organization and balances in it’s bank accounts and marketable securities or bank fine deposits, all being equivalent of cash since cash is one of the most useful resources of any organization, it is necessary to special attention to cash to ensure it’s proper utilization.
Mr Biggs, a reputable medium scale firm in Enugu Metropolis concentrates on the production of high quality bread, cakes, snack and all kind of food out side the buying and selling out fit. Concentration of many other medium scale firm, quicker and more money by buying and selling satainly, this is only for a short period but it ensures a longer and lasting profit.
However, noticeable features of medium scale firm are that of concentration in the hands of one or a few persons. These people exercise most of the controls necessary for running the firms and because they are directly involved on the business the nature of control differs from what would be expected in a big organization where ownership and management are separated and an elaborate administration structure is a necessity.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
Medium scale enterprises have been identified as a basic tool for rural development. They have taken a turn for the better sense in the past decades. The prospect for this decade and subsequence decade are bright. The enterprising in geniality and enthusiasm of any Nigerians are great challenge to the development of the country as a whole.
To achieve this depends solely on the proper management of medium scale firms, taking up to the challenge from internal sourcing of solution. This study titled “cash management in medium scale enterprises” a case study of Mr Biggs Enugu attempts to determine:-
- Procedure for establishing and managing medium scale firm.
- Good accounting records needed for proper cash management.
- Internal control system as a necessity for effective and proper cash management in medium scale enterprises.
- Cash management tools in medium scale firms.
- Cash management practices in medium firms.
- Personnel requirement for the cash management function.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The main objective of the study is enumerated below as follows:-
- To find out some aid technique to proper cash management in medium scale enterprises.
- To find out good financial records and bookkeeping which would enhance the expansion of cash management in medium scale firms?
- To determine the effect of improper cash utilization in medium scale firms.
- To determine the major cause of improper cash management in the medium scale enterprises.
- To recommend what roles the promoters of medium scale and financial institutions should play towards effective, efficient and proper cash utilization in medium scale enterprises.
- To create awareness of the important of proper cash management among medium scale enterprises.
- To suggest and make possible recommendation aided at eliminating the problems militating against proper cash management in medium scale establishment from examination of cash management techniques of medium scale firms. The project writer will high light the constraints against successful cash management of medium scale firm and their recommendation for improvement.
Finally, this study would be a great significant to the project winter since it will endow her with the articulation of her duties as an accountant in any business organization.
- RESEARCH QUESTON
- Are some aid techniques necessary for proper cash management in medium scale enterprises?
- Can good financial records and book keeping help to enhance the expansion of cash management in medium scale firms?
- Do you think the improper cash utilization affects the medium scale firm as a whole?
- Can the major cause of improper cash management in medium scale enterprises be determined?
- Can the creation of awareness of proper cash management be important among medium enterprises?
- What roles can the promoters of medium scale and financial institution? Plays towards effective, efficient and proper cash utilization in medium scale enterprises.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
It is expected that this study would be of vital benefit to a member of entrepreneurs, businessmen and organizations in the following ways:-
- This study should provide it’s numerous reader with a clear insight into the cash management function of medium scale enterprises.
- This study shall create awareness of the importance of proper cash management among our medium scale enterprises.
- It equally provide a basis for further studies into other aspect of cash utilization in medium scale enterprises.
- The study will benefit the businessmen, entrepreneurs and organizations in particular since it would expose them to the possible aid techniques of cash management.
- It is also expected that business consultants would benefit from this study. Since it would give them a clear insight into the efficient utilization of limited resources of medium scale enterprise.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study titled “cash management in medium scale firms” could have been extended to cover the whole of Enugu Metropolis and beyond all aspect for the problems of medium enterprises, but due to the huge financial requirement involved, coupled with the short time frame within which the study must be conducted, and completed, the author was compelled to limit the scope of medium firm using Mr. Biggs’s Enugu as a case study.
- LIMITATION OF STUDY
Due to academic stress and lack of adequate fund or fund or finance, I the researcher could not reach as many as organizations where adequate information’s could be ascertained.
- DEFINITION OF TERMS
At this stage, the author finds it necessary to defined and explain some of the terms, which have been used in the course of this study.
MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES (M.S.E)
There are as many definitions of medium scale enterprises (MSES) as there are experts on the subject.
“The Nigerian Industrial policy describes medium scale enterprise as those with total investment of between N100,00 and N2 million exclusive of land but including working capital. Central Bank of Nigeria described medium scale enterprise or firm as those capital investment which does not exceed N5 million including land and working capital whose turnover are not more than N25 million annually.
“The Company and Allied Matter – Decree (CAMD) no. 1 of 1990 section 376(2) depress a medium scale enterprises as an enterprises whose annual turnover is not more than N2 million or whose net value (Net worth) is not more than N1 million.
In this project work, I the author defines medium scale enterprise or firm as those with capital structure of not more than one or few persons than N500,000 which are owned, managed and controlled by and whose side does not permit for elaborate administrative structure.
This is defined ad the process of conserving cash and optimizing cash. How to be able to meet obligation as and when due the and generally raising the awareness of cash cost in every area of business activity.
CASH MANAGEMENT TOOLS
These are several techniques developed by the treasuring department of major companies for managing cash flow.