Download the complete Computer science topic and material (chapter 1-5) titled DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A WEB-BASED VEHICLE LICENSING SYSTEM here on PROJECTS.ng. See below for the abstract, table of contents, list of figures, list of tables, list of appendices, list of abbreviations and chapter one. Click the DOWNLOAD NOW button to get the complete project work instantly.
PROJECT TOPIC AND MATERIAL ON DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A WEB-BASED VEHICLE LICENSING SYSTEM
The Project File Details
- Name: DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A WEB-BASED VEHICLE LICENSING SYSTEM
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [1579KB]
- Length:  Pages
The traditional approach to Vehicle licensing in Nigeria has been a very manual method in Nigeria in the sense that the payment and delivery is manual. Although this method is easy and understandable, it poses problems on the long run because users are always expected to travel long distances from wherever they live to the license station in order to make payments and obtain Vehicle licenses, it is also observed that record keeping is largely manual and subject to disorganization and irreparable loss of data. Because of this, the design and implementation of a Web-based Vehicle Licensing System aims to reduce the number of time-consuming processes involved in obtaining Vehicle licenses, provide secure and cost effective methods of storing and maintaining user data and improve the working experience of both staff and Vehicle users. The methodology used in this project is Structured System Analysis and Design Methodology, the programming languages used in the design of this project are HTML (Hyper-text Markup Language), PHP (Hyper-text Preprocessor), CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) and SQL (Structured Query Language).
TABLE OF CONTENTS
LIST OF TABLES ix
LIST OF FIGURES x
CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
- Background of Study 1
1.1 Statement of the Problem 4
1.2 Objectives 6
1.3 Significance of the Project 7
CHAPTER 2 LITERATURE REVIEW 8
- Introduction 8
2.1 Theoretical Background 10
- Review Of Related Literature 11
2.1.1 Algorithms Requirement For Identifying A Licence Plate 12
- Automation And Law Enforcement 13
2.3 Related Works 18
CHAPTER 3 SYSTEM ANALYSIS AND DESIGN 20
3.0 Introduction 20
3.1.1 Data Collection Flow Chart 24
3.2 Diagram Showing the Organization 27
3.1.4 Information Flow Diagram 27
3.1.5 Objectives of the Existing System 28
3.1.6 Problems of the Current System 29
3.1.7 Evaluating the Existing System 30
3.2 Analysis of Proposed System 31
3.3 Design of Proposed System 33
CHAPTER 4 SYSTEM IMPLEMENTATION
4.0 Introduction 39
4.1 Choice of Development Environment 39
4.1.1 Front End 39
4.1.2 Back End 41
4.2 Implementation Architecture 43
4.3 Software Testing 43
4.4 Documentation 47
CHAPTER 5 SUMMARY AND CONCLUSION
5.0 Summary 51
5.1 Conclusion 51
5.2 Recommendation 52
Table 3.1 Admin table of the database 39
Table 3.2 driver table of the database 40
Table 3.3 vehicle table of the database 41
Fig 3:1 Data Collection Flow Chart 24
Fig 3:2 Diagram Showing the Organization Structure 27
Fig 3:3 Information Flow Diagram 28
fig 3:4 Registration Form 33
Fig 3:5 Plate Registration Form 34
Fig 3: 6 Driving Licence Registration Page 35
Vehicle Registration in Nigeria began over 100 years ago and the records have been essentially manual which in turn has not help to raise the efficiency of general automotive services in recent years. Today, computer has been discovered as a very efficient instrument, which has played a very significant role in adequate management of information. Besides, it has played more roles in the country. However, computerization has helped in many areas of life and due to the great number of vehicle owners, the thought of computerization of this operation becomes of great important in order to wipe out the manual data processing system from which many problem have originated. The problems, which have engulfed the objectives of motor vehicles registration, are extensively discussed in this project together with the new method that was innovated. This work is conducted towards the computerization of the various problems in processing data in order to identify the various problems that are been encountered in the registration of vehicles manually. This theory also compares the existing system with the new system, which is exact, and a faster way of processing data and the problem faced by customers when they are registering their vehicles. There are different programming languages that can be used to develop such programs, PASCAL, JAVA (Just Another Vague Acronym), VISUAL BASIC, and C++ (
C Object-Oriented Programming Language) etc. But the researcher will be making use of PHP, Database (MySQL) they are both working with Apache server (XAMPP).
The World is experiencing an information knowledge revolution that is fundamentally transforming the way in which human activities are carried out. Governments worldwide are adopting e -government as a means of improving their services to businesses and citizens, promoting economic and social development, and enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of government operations.
Computer plays vital role in the development of any company it also saves some of its complex problems that are been faced by man and processes voluminous data within a short period of time or at an incredible speed. Recent emphasis on information and data processing in most of our business has grown adversely as in the case of motor vehicle license and plate registration. In as much as motor vehicle registration has been in existent for ages now, the old system of registration has been in adoption which did not play a significant role on highway safety until the development of the new system of vehicle registration where a reflective sheeting which is more visible to read even in the dark. This new system of motor vehicle and plate number registration, which is the main focus of this project, came into existent on the 19th March 1997 and handled by the motor licensing officer. It was introduced to enforce strict compliance to traffic rules and regulation as well as providing a proper data as to the behaviour of road users. Thus the role this study is going to play is to computerize the motor vehicle and plate number registration thereby bringing about more efficiency, effectiveness and improved competence.
Motor licensing office Abuja only focuses on vehicle registration and inspection, and not on other supporting services such as vehicle tracking, learner’s driving permission, and drivers’ license management, monitoring of drivers and vehicles operations and documentation of both accident and crime report.
Vehicle registration in the city, state, and district offices burdened applicants by requiring them to personally deliver the certified copy of resident’s registration and other documents.
Vehicle Registration used to involve manual recording of vehicle’s information which ranges from cars to buses and later to trucks and heavy duty equipment on ledgers and tracking other related information such as registration, road worthiness test certificates, change of ownership, engine and chassis numbers; and expiration of road license. This process has been extremely inefficient and the recovery of the information was not possible once ledgers were damaged or lost as it frequently occurs.
These are the problems that are being encountered in the manual system of assigning a plate number to newly acquired vehicle in the department of vehicle licensing and registration, (Licensing office Abuja). The limited factors listed below have slowed realization of the good intention:
- Participation of Unauthorized Officers: Unauthorized offices according to the researchers’ observation are involved in this work especially in the registration of illegal vehicles which can encourage fraud.
- Wrong Charging of Fees: The officer in-charge is bound to charge a wrong bill to vehicle owners, which may be as a result of under assessment or over assessment of vehicles. This could be with motive to commit fraud or as a result of mistake on the part of the officer at work.
- Wrong Sales Allocation: Staff under a particular state motor vehicle licensing office indulges in registering of vehicles that does not belong to their state.
- Improper Accounting: There is the tendency of the cashier involved in the handling of income generated to make mistake during this process, thus having some measures of inaccuracy in the work.
- There is difficulty at times in tracing a record/information cautioning a vehicle owner due to improper information keeping as a result of carelessness or volume in the size of record kept.
- Mental/Manual Labour: This involves the use of strength and Brain and the body. The officer in-charge goes through mental labour because he has to sort the records of the entire vehicle in his domain of jurisdiction. He suffers from Manual labour because he has to write all the way.
- Excess Time Consumption: There is excessive time consumption because the motor licensing officer has to write and enter the information of the vehicle after the person whose vehicle is to be registered has paid a prescribed amount of money to the licensing authority accompanied with duly completed application, depending on the type of vehicle, write personal information about the person whose vehicle is to be registered and the category of vehicle whether commercial, privates, special purpose and so on, then your plate number and vehicle license is prepared after a given period of time. When put together, the time spent on all of these is much.
As we have seen from the statement of the problems, the things that stand as puzzle in the manual system of motor vehicle registration aim at introducing a better system which is the computerized system which will contribute in providing solution to the problems.
- Reducing the amount of time spent in registration of motor vehicle and information for all the vehicle owners.
- To ensure a very high level of accuracy during registration of certain vehicle or category of vehicles that are prone to errors in the manual system.
- Developing a system that will allow for the generation and assignment of an infinite identification mark or number (that is, the vehicle plate number).
- To replace the manual system of registration with a computerized system that will make registration simple and easy for registration officer and vehicle owner.
- It provide restriction of illegal access of this program will be limited therefore password will be created for the application software. This password will just be limited to the officer in charge of the work.
- This also aims at giving an up-to-date report of the revenue generates from vehicle registration within a defined period.
Due to the constant rise in technology, it is necessary to use computer to Process voluminous data within a short period of time or at an incredible speed. This project is to help provide efficiency, effectiveness and improve competence issuance of vehicle license, plate number and other related activities. The importance of this study includes:
- To expedite the efficiency of principal licensing officer in the processing of vehicle registration documents.
- To develop a method that will allow easy storage and retrieval of vehicle and owner’s registration information at any time in the future.
- To develop a highly accurate method of generating and assigning plate numbers and how to interpret them.
- To determine the easiest and fastest way to access vehicle owner’s registration information and missing vehicles.
- To enable security agencies find missing vehicles.
- To develop an easy method for generating and assigning plate numbers or identification mark.
GET THE FULL WORK