Download the complete computer science project topic and material (chapter 1-5) titled Design and Implementation of Commercial Vehicle Registration and Task Management System in a Campus here on PROJECTS.ng. See below for the abstract, table of contents, list of figures, list of tables, list of appendices, list of abbreviations and chapter one. Click the DOWNLOAD NOW button to get the complete project work instantly.
PROJECT TOPIC AND MATERIAL ON Design and Implementation of Commercial Vehicle Registration and Task Management System in a Campus
The Project File Details
- Name: Design and Implementation of Commercial Vehicle Registration and Task Management System in a Campus
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: 1.09MB
- Length: 69 Pages
1.1 Background of the Study
The emergence of e-data processing system is an answer to the dire need of man for tools and alternative ways to improve his well-being and activities as a whole. It has relieved workers of the stressful routine of collecting, organizing and management of data.
Campus commercial vehicle registration in Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU) involves the use of pen and paper in the recording of commercial vehicles information and generation of unique personal identification number (PIN) for each vehicle. This process is laden with inaccuracy caused by assigning a unique identification number to more than one vehicle and tracking other related information such as change of ownership and renewal of license. This is done for any vehicle used for commercial purpose within and outside the school campus. This process is extremely inefficient and the recovery of the information is not possible once registration papers are damaged or lost as it frequently occurs coupled with the bulk of papers that makes information retrieval very difficult.
The vehicle registration system is the repository that contains vehicle’s data and information which several stakeholders require and need to access, for the efficient functioning in their respective domains and further, in an envisaged integrated environment.
The secretary of Directorate of Transport Nnamdi Azikiwe University said that the traditional system of using pen and paper registration and accreditation has been laden with stress and a proposal to automate these processes will be worthwhile.
Taxation is the source by which a government generates their revenue and caters for their expenditures. This is applicable in the Directorate of Transport (DOT) under the Student Union Government (SUG), Nnamdi Azikiwe University, where it imposes a certain tax on the commercial vehicles operating within the campus.
These commercial vehicles pay a daily tax categorized under different names such as “welfare”, “DOT dues”, “chairman” and so on. A ticketing system is used to ensure that drivers comply. However, the directorate of transport may find it difficult to keep record of the total amount collected on a daily basis. Integrating a tax management module to the proposed system will enable the necessary authorities to have accurate information on the amount collected on a daily basis.
- Statement of the Problem
Commercial vehicle registration is a job that requires accuracy of data and this exercise is required for every new registration. Therefore, going by this method a lot of problems are encountered which includes:
- Conflicting multiple registrations; caused by assigning a unique identification number to more than one vehicle.
- Difficulty in information retrieval; because of the bulk of registration papers consuming a large space.
- Loss of revenue by Student’s union government due to fake registration papers generated and issued to naïve drivers by some fake DOT officials.
- Waste of time caused by manually verifying the validity of a commercial vehicle.
1.3 Aims and Objectives of the Study
The proposed objective of this study is to design and implement a commercial vehicle registration and tax management system for Unizik campus. The system will achieve the following objectives;
- Provide a better, easier and more efficient method of vehicle registration.
- To develop a perfect system that will allow for the generation and assignment of an infinite unique identification number to vehicles.
- Develop an accurate and reliable database of commercial vehicle and ownership, for new and existing vehicle registration.
- To equip the field DOT officials with an on-the-spot ease in verifying authenticity of any commercial vehicle plying ins the campus
- To provide an information system for managing daily tax of commercial vehicles
1.4 Scope of the Study
This study covers commercial vehicle registration and daily taxing or ticketing as it is obtainable in the Directorate of Transport (DOT) Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. This work will automate the process of registration and daily tax payment by this commercial vehicle owners.
1.5 Significance of the Study
A campus commercial vehicle registration integrated with a ticketing system for effective tax management will be implemented for the directorate of transport Unizik campus will:
- Provide confidentiality by detecting double registration, and provide usefulinformation to track every completed registration.
- Provide integrity as data cannot be modified undetectably from unauthorized users.
- Provide a basis for accurate auditing of tax account, because the system will generate a periodic report on the taxes/tickets paid for.
1.6 Limitations of the Study
We encountered some challenges during the course of this work. Some of which are
- Expensive internet subscriptions and
- Restricted access to the DOT unit to get relevant information.
1.7 Definitions of Terms
Campus: this is any Nigerian University environment both inside and outside.
Chart: this is a paper document that acts as a license to operate a commercial vehicle on Nnamdi Azikiwe University campus.
Commercial vehicle: this is any vehicle used within the campus for commercial purposes.
De-registration: this is the process of cancelling all registration pertaining to a vehicle
Directorate of transport: this is a department in every campus mostly controlled by the student’s union government that oversees the activities of commercial vehicles.
Drivers permit: this is the permission given to vehicle owners and drivers to do business with their vehicle on the campus
Ledger: this is a principal book or computer file used for recording monetary transactions generated each day at various parks in the campus.
Multiple registrations: this is a term used to refer to problems caused by assigning a registered unique identification number to more than one vehicle.
Registration: this is a one-off process of collecting a detailed data about a vehicle and its owner for identification.
Renewal of license: annual activity involvingrenewal of driver permit for operations
Re-registration: in the context of this study this is a process of automating the registration process of vehicles by registering all the vehicles again using the proposed system.
Transfer of ownership: this is the process of transferring the rights of a vehicle owner to another person maybe in the case of car sale.
Vehicle data: this is unique information collected from a specific vehicle.
Vehicle Identification number: It is a unique strings of numeral used for identifying all the vehicles. It is used by the department of transport of any university institution as a means of identifying cabs, tricycles and buses. It is a numeric password shared between the vehicle owners and a system that can be used to authenticate the user to the system.
Verification: this process of checking the validity of any commercial vehicle plying within the school environment.
Revalidation: this is validating once again the authenticity of individual vehicle in the school campus