Download the complete Early Childhood Education project topic and material (chapter 1-5) titled EARLY MARRIAGE AND EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT (CASE STUDY OF BAUCHI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BAUCHI STATE) here on PROJECTS.ng. See below for the abstract, table of contents, list of figures, list of tables, list of appendices, list of abbreviations and chapter one. Click the DOWNLOAD NOW button to get the complete project work instantly.
The Project File Details
- Name: EARLY MARRIAGE AND EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT (CASE STUDY OF BAUCHI LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF BAUCHI STATE)
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [32 KB]
- Length:  Pages
The study determined the influence of early marriage on educational attainment of Girl child Bauchi Local Government Area of Bauchi state. The population of the study comprise of 250 school girls in Bauchi Local Government. Stratified random sampling was used to select 100 school girls. The data was collected through the questionnaire developed by the researchers. The data was analyzed using percentage and t-test. The analysis revealed that early marriage was a factor in determining educational attainment of girls in Bauchi Local Government Area of Bauchi state. Most of the parents cannot pay school fees to their daughters as the result of that they allow early marriage, 58% of the respondents were agreed with the statement, 31% of the respondents disagreed with the statement while 11% of the respondents were undecided.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page – – – – – – – – – i
Certification – – – – – – – – ii
Dedication – – – – – – – – – – iii
Acknowledgement – – – – – – – – iv
Table of Content – – – – – – – – vii
Abstract – – – – – – – – – x
1.1 Background of the Study – – – – – 1
1.2 Statement of the Problem – – – – 4
1.3 Objective of the study – – – – – 4
1.4 Research Questions – – – – – 5
1.5 Significance of the study – – – – – 5
1.6 Scope of the study – – – – – – 6
1.7 Operational Definition of Terms – – – 6
REVIEW OF THE RELATED LITERATURE
2.1 Conceptual framework of the study – – – 8
2.2 Causes of early Marriage – – – – – 9
2.2.1 Social Factors – – – – – – 9
2.2.2 Cultural Factors – – – – – – 10
2.2.3 Religious Factors – – – – – – 11
2.2.4 Socio-economic Factors – – – – – 12
2.3 Types of Marriage in Bauchi Local
Government Area – – – – – – 13
2.3.1 Monogamy marriage – – – – – 14
2.3.2 Polygamy marriage – – – – – 14
2.4 Problems of early marriage – – – – – 15
2.5 Summary and Uniqueness of the study – – 16
3.1 Research Design – – – – – – 18
3.2 Population and Sample – – – – – 18
3.3 Research Instrument – – – – – 19
3.4 Procedure for Data Collection – – – – 19
3.5 Method of Data Analysis – – – – 20
DATA ANALYSIS, RESULT AND DISCUSSION
4.1 Results – – – – – – – 21
4.2 Summary of Findings – – – – – 28
4.3 Discussion – – – – – – – 29
SUMMARY, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5.1 Summary – – – – – – 34
5.2 Conclusion – – – – – – – 35
5.3 Suggestion for Further Study – – – – 36
5.4 Recommendations – – – – – – 36
References – – – – – – – 38
Background of the Study
The importance of girl child education cannot be overemphasized, considering their role and status in every society. The education of a girl child is very important in every aspect of life. But many people do not realize that, they encourage girl child to get marry at an early stage.
Early marriage is a situation where by girl marries at an early age (between the age of 12 and 18 years).
The rate and which young girls get married at an early age in Bauchi Local Government Area of Bauchi state could be contributed to social, cultural, religious and socio-economic factors. As ascertained by the inhabitants.
Therefore marriage is a mutual agreement between man and woman to establish a home. It requires full agreement between man and woman without compulsion being put. Marriage could be through Islam, Christianity, Traditionally or court marriage. All have to be an agreement between the man and the woman.
Oxford Dictionary defines marriage as a legal relationship between husband and wife. Woman particular have an important role to play in raising the socio-economic standard of the society. They are maker and centre of the family. They are also the main custodians of social, cultural and fundamental values of the society and through which permanent change is best achieved. Jibowu (1965) in her contribution during 1969 curriculum confidence on women education in Nigeria carried on the heed for good general education for women. Thus, according to her is because their influence on the children during the formative years in crucial.
She stated that a child spends about six hours at school and about eighteen hours at home. The man’s influence on him/her is therefore great during the formative years and a mother with good education helps a growing child tremendously.
- A. Etimyomi states that, it is investigate that the process of development and it is accompanied socio-economic changes and transformation have also altered the traditional role of women as mothers and wives. The society now expects them to also later or help their counterparts to solve most of their problems facing the contemporary society system. So, girl child education should be given a good general education which will enable them to cope with most of the problems that may come their ways.
Girl child education is low as a result of early marriage in most part of Northern Nigeria by parents and other factors. Thus, attitude has led to a lot of social impact like early marriage, divorce, hence increasing the number of prostitutes. If a girl get divorced at an early state of marriage my find it difficult to get another husband in time.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Early marriage in Bauchi Local Government Area has become a serious problem. It has jeopardized both state and federal government effort towards the education of women in Nigeria. Since education is necessary for the progress of a country. It must educate both men and women.
Main problem was the ignorance of the parents particularly mothers that is the mothers themselves do not know the importance of education. Most of them are illiterates as such they do not really have any definite ambition in further their education to higher level. They have the feeling that getting married and an early age is more important.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The following were formulated for the study:
- To determine the causes of early marriage in Bauchi Local Government Area.
- To determine the effect of early marriage in Bauchi Local Government Area.
- The attitude of parent toward early marriage in Bauchi Local Government Area.
1.4 Research Questions
- What are the causes of early marriage in Bauchi Local Government Area?
- What are the negative effects of early marriage in Bauchi Local Government Area?
- How does the parent attitude affect girl child education in Bauchi Local Government Area?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The research work is intended to assess the impact of early marriage on young girl’s education in Bauchi Local Government Area of Bauchi state. The research will help parent to be aware on the importance of girl child education in Bauchi Local Government Area and the country at large.
1.6 Scope of the Study
The scope of this project is limited to the impact of early marriage on girl child education in Bauchi Local Government Area.
1.7 Operational Definition of Terms
The following terms were defined based on how they are being used in the work.
- Early Marriage: This is a situation where by a girl child marries at an early stage without passing through normal process of maturity and socialization. Usually between the age of twelve and eighteen 12-18 years.
- Impact of early marriage: This involves the positive and negative consequences of early marriage to the girl child and society at large.
- Girl child education: This is a process of teaching, training and learning to improve the general knowledge of a girl child and develop skills primary elementary education secondary education, further higher/post secondary education.