The Project File Details
- Name: EFFECT OF OPEN MARKET OPERATION AS TOOLS OF MONETARY POLICY OF THE CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA IN CONTROLLING THE ECONOMY
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [50KB]
- Length:  Pages
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TITLE PAGE I
TABLE OF CONTENTS V
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
- RESEACH QUESTION
- OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
- SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
- SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
- DEFINITION OF TERMS
- PLAN AND ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
- LITERATURE REVIEW
- HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF CBN
- INSTRUMENT USED IN MONETARY POLICY
- MONEY SUPPLY AND DETERMINANT
- BANKING CREDIT SYSTEM TO THE ECONOMY
- BANKING CREDIT SYSTEM TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR
- OPEN MARKET OPERATION
- RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- SOURCES OF DATA
- METHOD OF DATA COLLECTION
- ANALYSIS OF DATA COLLECTION
- POPULATION OF THE STUDY
- LIMITATION OF THE METHODOLOGY
- DATA PRESENTATION, ANALYSIS, AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULT
- DATA PRESENTATION
- DATA ANALYSIS
In the past year, the Nigeria economy has witness serious micro economy problem, characterized by show in the economic activities, how capacity utilization growing unemployment level debt burden, accelerated inflation intensify exchange rate separation as well as higher perfect receiving of interest rate persistently high and government deficit financing has been identified as the major factors in the observed micro economy problems.
When we talk of micro economy policies, this deals with monetary and physical policies, but this concerned mainly on monetary policies.
Therefore, monetary policies comprises of those policies desired to influence the behaviors of micro economy preferably the basic aim of the monetary policy are not the monetary aggregate themselves, but the aggregate in the real sector of the economy such as level of output, stabilization and the economy development.
The policies are designed in an items to charge the trend of some monetary variable in particular direction so as to infuse the desire behavioral change in the monetary policies the bank role is to conduct appropriate monetary policies that is consistence with the main economy objective of achieving real growth in gross domestic product, low inflation rate and satiable balance of payment position. This irrespective of whether the direct or indirect approach is put in place to control money and crudity.
In this regard, the CBN clatter the amount of monetary supply that is consistent with the country micro economy objective and manipulated the monetary instrument at his disposal in order to achieve the state objectives.
Monetary policy is use to influence the macroeconomic objective because there is believe that this occur in relationship between the trace variable at the monetary variables.
From the above explanation monetary policy could therefore be define as a delicate action taken by monetary authorities to change the domestic stock of money supply while fiscal policy variable teaming constant.
Monetary policy influences the level of aggregate income and spending in the economy by influence money supply and the cost of borrowing money from the bank. It could also be defined as a policy employing the central bank. It could also be defined as an instrument for achieving the objective of a general economic policy or as a tool use by the monetary authority in other to achieve state economic objectives.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Despite the impact which monetary policy has played in the Nigeria financial institution, a lot of problems still control the monetary policy and their client and this study therefore carried out to investigate such problem like:
- Expansion of more commercial bank and liquidation of most financial institution in Nigeria.
- Monetary supply is not controlled in line with the demand in the real sector which heads to a situation of disequilibrium.
- This is adverse effect on recent banking regulation of the liquidity and profitability objective of banking too low of money supply which leads to hinder of investment.
- There is a large non-monetized sector which hinders the success of monetary policy in such countries – people mostly live in rural areas where barter is practiced.
- Monetary policy is also not successful in such countries because bank money comprises a small proportion of the total money supply in the country.
1.3 RESEACH QUESTION
- Does your bank grants loan and advances to their customers?
- What is the type of loan given out mostly?
- Who is responsible for giving out of loan?
- Do you think that granting of loan and advances to customers have any positive effect on the economy?
- Do you think increasing the rate of granting credit facilities help in improving the economy?
- Does your bank have credit control and management?
- How efficient is the credit management and control department?
1.4 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objective of the study is to identify the source of monetary policy and its impact on Nigeria financial institution.
- To ensure domestic price stability
- To avoid unnecessary fluctuation in income and employment.
- To stimulate economy growth by avoiding miss-allocation of resources
- To maintain healthy balance of payment equilibrium.
- To maintain full employment
- To create a broad and continues for government securities
- To provide a credit at differential interest to economically weaker section of the community.
- To help in the establishment and development of tern financing institution
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
It is hypothesis that the monetary policy ia a policy document designed to reputation and control the volume cost available and directions of money and credit in economic policy objectives the following hypothesis will be used.
- Ho: open market operation has no effect on monetary policy of CBN
- Hi: open market operation has effect on monetary policy of CBN
1.6 SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
Presently, the business environment economy as well as banking industry as experience massive benefits from the introduction of monetary policy at an appropriate level to ensure sustainable economy growth and maintain internal and external stability.
The following people will be benefited from the significant of monetary policy in an economy.
TO THE GOVERNMENT: it enables government to control monetary supply because it rate of growth has an effect on inflation.
- It helps government for dictating course of economy.
- It’s an action which aimed at achieving a certain set of economy objective also an attempt to control money
TO THE PUBLIC: it brings sustainable economy growth and maintains both internal and external stability growth.
- It gives aggregate supply of money in calculation and census interest rate.
- Discouragement inflation with an increase in the along the bank policy guide line.
- It control the supply of money in circulation whereby too much money used to purchase few goods
TO THE INVESTORS: it an encouragement to the investors as the supply of money is been control core with increase in the volume of purchasing power.
1.7 SCOPE AND LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study has chosen central bank of Nigeria being the case study to critically examine the effect of open market operation as tools of monetary policy of the central bank of Nigeria in controlling the economy. However, the research work has been constrained to the below statements:
- Time Constraint: the time has not always been a friends this is due to the part that time available is too short to combine this project work with my other academic programmers.
- Financial constraint: there has been weak financial capability faced by the research this problem of getting fraud in order to finance this project will affect this project.
- Lack of adequate material: in the course of the study, the materials are not detailed enough and not satisfactory to meet with the policy of good lending.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Financial Institution can be defined as a cooperate financial bodies that provide financial assistant to all private and public sector for development and capitalization of the business also to embark on long term capital project.
Monetary policy is a policy document designed to reputation and controls the volume cost available and directors of money and credit in economics policy objectives.
Monetary policy refers to the combination of measures designed to regulate the values, supply and cost of money in an economy.
Central bank of Nigeria (CBN) may be defined as the only financial institution established and charged with the day to day management and control of national monetary affairs, the supervision and coordination of banking and financial activities of the country.
Central banking refers to the role of central monetary authority or an apex financial institution with one entire financial structure in promoting monetary stability and financial system through the use of monetary instrument
QUANTITATIVE: this is the direct control which comprises of open market operation, reserve requirement and bank rate. These are meant to regulate the level of credit.
QUALITATIVE: this is the indirect control which includes selective credit control and moral suasion. These also aimed at controlling specific types of credit and interest rate.
OPEN MARKET OPEN: open market operation means the purchase or sale government securities. It buys government securities in markets in order to increase the money supply on the other hand when it sells government securities to mop up excess liquidity in the banking system.
RESERVE REQUIREMENT: In Nigeria all banks are required to maintain two major reserve ratios, a cash and liquid assets reserves otherwise known as liquidity ratio.
SELECTIVE CREDIT CONTROL: the central bank of Nigeria instruct banks on a sectored allocation of credit and ….. Ability and bank are expected to comply.
BANK RATE: Bank rate is the rate of interest charged by the control bank for discounting bill. It is a penal rate in the sense that it is always above the rate at which the bills are discounted.
MORAL SUASION: Refer to a whole series of action that the Central Bank may take to influence the lending practitioners of commercial bank and sometimes other lenders.
INTEREST RATE: This is the rate which bank charge on loan or advance given to the customers, it determine by the bank rate.
1.9 ORGANIZATION OF THE STUDY
This research work of this study will be divided into five chapters.
Chapter one, includes introd1uction, aim and objection, significant of the important, statement of the problem, scope and limitation, definition of term and finally plan of the study.
Chapter two is based on avoidance of literature relating to the topic question (monetary policy and its impact of Nigeria Financial Institution).
Chapter three clearly examines research methodology, source of date, method of data collection, analysis of data collection and finding of the study.
Chapter four, this vividly takes a look at the history of monetary policy and the objective of the policy also the instrument used in monetary policy and finally effect of monetary policy on financial institution.
Chapter five, this chapter contains summary, conclusion.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.