The Project File Details
- Name: FACTORS MILITATING AGAINST THE EFFECTIVE TEACHING – LEARNING OF COMPUTER SCIENCE IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT (A CASE STUDY OF ENUGU NORTH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA)
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [148 KB]
- Length:  Pages
This project work is designed to investigate the Factors Militating against Teaching – Learning of Computer Science in Junior Secondary School in Enugu North Local Government. This work aims at finding the problems facing the teaching-learning of computer science in junior secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A, to identify the teaching method used by teachers in teaching-learning of computer in junior classes in Enugu North L.G.A, to identify the problems facing teachers and students in teaching- learning of computer science in Enugu North L.G.A. etc. In the collection of data, the researcher used the following methods; the sample size is 20, sample techniques were randomly selected while the data obtained were analyzed using frequency tables and percentage.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page — — — — — — — — — i
Approval page — — — — — — — — ii
Certificate — — — — — — — — — iii
Dedication — — — — — — — — iv
Acknowledgement — — — — — — — v
Table of contents — — — — — — — vi
Abstract — — — — — — — — — viii
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION
- Background of the study — — — — — 2
- Statement of the problem — — — — 4
- Purpose of the study — — — — — 5
- Significance of the study — — — — — 6
- Scope/Delimitation of the study — — — 7
- Research questions — — — — — — 7
CHAPTER II: REVIEW OF RELATIVE LITERATURE
- Definition of terms the studies — — — — 9
- The Historical, Concepts/concept of computers 10
CHAPTER III: RESEARCH METHODS
- Research design — — — — — — 31
- Area of study — — — — — — — 32
- Population of the sample and sampling techniques 32
- Instrument for data collection — — — — 32
- Method of data analysis — — — — — 32
CHAPTER IV: DATA PRESENTATIONS AND ANALYSIS
Data Presentations and Analysis — 35
CHAPTER V: SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Major findings of the study — — — — 40
- Conclusion — — — — — — — 52
- Recommendations — — — — — — 56
- Area suggested for data further studies — — 57
References — — — — — — — 58
Appendix — — — — — — — — 50
The factors militating against the effective teaching-learning of computer science in junior secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A. Enugu are those factors that make the subject not to be properly understood by the students.
They are those limitations that create ineffective understanding of computer to students in junior secondary school in Enugu North L.G.A. Enugu State.
The research highlighted some factors that contributes to it. They include:
- Instructional materials used
- The categories of teachers
- Teaching methods used
- Problems facing teachers and students
- Physical environmental factors
- Background of the Study
The worlds are advancing at a rapid rate. Events have moved to the electronic stage with computer at the center. This development has brought a lot of innovations and revolution into teaching and learning. The 3R’s which forms the nucleus of the old system of education has witnessed series of literacy reforms. The world is now in the age of hence there is need to keep abreast with time.
One of the ways of achieving this is through the introduction of computer into our institutions of learnings
John Ugoji (2006) explains computer as an electronic machine that performs tasks. Such as calculation or electronic communication under the control of a set of instruction called programmes. The programmes usually resides within the computer and are retrieved as processed by the computer’s election.
He want further into defining computer as an electronic machines that has the ability to accept data, process data and retrieve data i.e. gives out the result as information.
Okolo Lawrence (2007) describes the term “computer” as an electronic machine or gadget that accepts data as input and process them electronically to produce the desired output or information with the aid of a set instructions.
Computer can be generally defined as an electronic device that accepts data, process the data and brings out the result of the data as an information. Involving computer science into teaching-learning as a case in Enugu North Junior Secondary Schools simply means that teaching should carry a definition of computer during learning for easy understanding.
In this case, teaching according to Nicholas .O. Anyanwu (2006) means a systematic, rational and organized process of transmitting knowledge, attitude and skills in accordance with professional principles. He also said that teaching has come to be a complex task and should involve only professional teachers into the system in order to transmit the knowledge of the computer to the learners properly.
The learners that are mentioned here are the students of junior secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A. of Enugu State that studies computer science. Wikipedia (2010) describes learning as a change in behaviour based on previous experience. This learning therefore involves processing of various types of information.
- Statement of Problem
The world as it is today has become computerized. That is to say that everything and almost all the activities of today is are computerized. Going by this, it therefore becomes very important that every body should have the knowledge of computer, starting from the junior secondary or even primary school. This is very important for young children in order to be able to cope with any computer challenges that may arise.
Computer science is a technical subject which demands a skillful teacher to handle it, if the students should be expected to perform well in it. Following this assertion, we know that the junior secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A. are faced with problems that hinder the effective teaching-learning of all the subjects especially-computer science.
- The purpose of the Study
The overall purpose of this study is to identify factors militating against the effective teaching – learning of computer science in some junior secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A. of Enugu State.
Specifically, the purpose of the study are:
- To identify the teaching method of used by the teacher during computer classes.
- To identify the types of instructional materials used in the process of teaching-learning of computer science.
- To identify the categories of teachers that are teaching computer science.
- To identify the problems facing the teachers and students during teaching learning of computer science
- To identify the physical environmental factors in that area
- Significance of the Study
The findings of the study will be important to the teachers of computer science and also the learners while learning the subject. By so doing, it will help them to improve on their teaching method.
The teacher will benefit because it will avail them the opportunity of discovering the teaching method to be used and the materials suitable for teaching-learning of computer science in junior secondary schools.
It will enable them to discover the areas that they need to help the computer teachers improve on. It will equally lead to the discovering of students problems or weaknesses in the study of computer science. To the students, they study so as to enable them to identify their own problems in the study of computer science.
- Scope of the Study
This study is meant to cover the junior secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A. of Enugu State. It will equally discuss the method of teaching-learning of computer science.
The study will as well study the problems facing the teachers and students in teaching–learning of computer science and also the physical environment factors.
- Research Questions
The following questions were asked to guide the study
- What are the various methods used in teaching and learning of computer science in junior secondary schools in Enugu L.G.A.
- What are the various types of instructural materials used in teaching – learning of computer science in junior secondary schools in Enugu North.
- What are the problems facing teachers and students during teaching – learning of computer science in junior secondary schools in Enugu North.
- What are the physical environmental factors that exits during the teaching – learning secondary schools in Enugu North L.G.A.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.