The Project File Details
- Name: LEADERSHIP ROLE IN ATTAINMENT OF ORGANIZATIONAL GOALS
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [43 KB]
- Length:  Pages
This research topic “Leadership role in attainment of organizational goals” using Auchi polytechnic, Auchi was carried out by the researcher. Twelve questions were formulated, all derived from a total number of twenty (20) respondents in the organization studied, simple percentage method was used in analyzing the data collected. The study revealed leadership as a tool for the attainment of organizational goals. It also emphasized the importance of effective leadership in organization in spite of economic recession and government policies on the whole. The study revealed the organization adopts the democratic leadership style, where there can be consultative and participative management. Conclusion was drawn and recommendations made. A new awareness was created on the part of management on the need for improvement in quality service delivery which would lead to the attainment of organizational goals.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page i
Table of contents v
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
- Background to the study 1
- Statement of the problem 2
- Objectives of the study 3
- Research Questions 3
- Statement of the hypothesis 4
- Scope of the study 5
- Significance of the study 5
- Limitations of the study 6
- Operational definition of terms 6
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1 Introduction 7
2.2 The concept of leadership 7
2.3 Types of leaders 10
2.4 Forms of power of a leader 11
2.5.1 Qualities that distinguishes a leader from a follower 12
2.5.2 Factors that affects the effectiveness of a leader 13
2.5.3 Qualities of a good leader 13
2.5.4 Functions of a leader 14
2.6 Leadership styles 15
2.7 Theories of leadership 17
2.8 Leadership role in attainment of organizational goals 23
2.9 summary of the review 24
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.1 Introduction 25
3.2 Research Design 25
3.3 Population of the study 25
3.4 Sample/sampling procedure 26
3.5 Instrument for Data Collection 26
3.6 Method of Data Collection 26
3.7 Method of Data Analysis 27
CHPTER FOUR: DATA PRESENTATION, ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION
4.1 Introduction 28
4.2 Data presentation and interpretation 28
4.3 Data Analysis and Hypothesis testing 35
4.4 Discussion of findings 38
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY OF FINDINGS, CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATION
5.1 Introduction 40
5.2 Summary of the findings 40
5.3 Conclusion 41
5.4 Recommendation 42
- Background to the study
The importance of leadership cannot be over emphasized. It plays a vital role in offering direction and purpose towards achieving goals of an organization. An effective leadership has been widely acknowledged as a potent instrument for achieving organizational goals and objectives especially in Auchi polytechnic, Auchi.
Leadership is an important aspect of managing, the ability to lead effectively is one of the keys to being an effective manager since the essence of leadership is followership. A leader does not unilaterally do as he please, he has to heart the interest of the organization by leading to effectively coordinate group effort in the attainment of organizational goals.
Leadership can be defined as a process of influencing people in a planned direction towards goals. It is the life wire of the organization. Ideally, people should be encouraged to develop not only willingness to work but also willingness to work with zeal and confidence and the willingness to work with zeal and confidence can only be achieved with effective leadership. The objective of the study can be attained through effective leadership because it is through policy or strategic plans of the top management that the organization is managed. All activities will be directed towards implementing these policies through good planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling of subordinates. Against this background, thin study is designed to investigate leadership role in the attainment of organizational goals.
- Statement of the problem
Recent observations have shown that most organizations have lost focus consequently, they have experienced low productivity due to lack of optimum participation from employees, and this is as a result of the leadership style they adopt. A major problem observed by the researcher is the over rigidity (inflexibility) of the leadership style adopted by most organization leaders, they fail to adjust their style of leadership to the changing situation and environment. This is as a result of the lack of understanding of the fact that no one particular style of leadership can fit all conditions and must be flexible to give room for changes. Leaders should have the ability to allow prevailing situations dictate the particular style of leadership to adopt in order of organizational objectives to be realized.
- Objectives of the study
- To establish if the current choice of leadership style lead to the attainment of organizational goals.
- To find out if the leader’s personal skills leads to the attainment of organizational goals.
- To determine whether leader’s ability to motivate subordinates can lead to the attainment of organizational goals.
- To find out if there is any need for the role of effective leadership in an organization.
- Research Questions
- Does the current leadership choice actually lead to attainment of organizational goals?
- Does the personal skills of a leader actually lead to the attainment of organizational goals?
- To what extent do a leader’s ability to motivate his subordinates lead to the attainment of goals?
- Is there any need for the role of affective leadership in the achievement of organizational goals?
- Statement of the Hypothesis
The following hypothesis form the basis or the frame work for carrying out this research study.
Ho: There is no significant relationship between the current choice of leadership style and the attainment of organizational goals.
Hi: There is a significant relationship between the current choice of leadership style and the attainment of organizational goals.
Ho: The attainment of organizational goals does not depend on leader’s personal skills.
Hi: The attainment of organizational goals depends on the leader’s personal skills.
Ho: The attainment of organizational goals does not depend on leader’s ability to motivate subordinates.
Hi: The attainment of organizational goals depends on leader’s ability to motivate subordinates.
- Scope of the study
The scope of this study is very wide if it has to be carried out nationwide. This study is sample narrowed to Auchi polytechnic, Auchi and it is based on the evaluation of the role of effective leadership in the achievement of organizational goals.
- Significance of the study
This study will analyze the various leadership styles of management in an organization. The study will be of great benefit to other business enterprise on how to determine the best leadership style to adopt in achieving her goals and objectives.
This study emphasizes on the need for the adoption of current leadership style that will facilitate the attainment of organizational goals. They will be of member importance to top executives and practically managers. It will also give insight to leaders’ personal skills and how it leads to the attainment of organizational goals.
The findings and suggestions of this study will be valuable to the organization and future researchers.
- Limitations of the study
This study is limited to an institution which the Auchi polytechnic, Auchi. It is also limited by the method of data analysis used which is the simple percentage method.
- Operational definition if terms
- Leadership: Leadership in its context of use here is the process of influencing people in a planned direction towards goals.
- Organization: Arranging of people into social grouping for the provision of goods and/or services for the society.
- Effectiveness: Serving to affect the purpose of producing the intended result; capable and competent.
- Traits: Traits are qualities. Leadership traits are of two ideas;
- Social cognitive theory which is concerned with personal ideas.
- Creditability which refers to honesty, forward looking and inspiration.
- Behaviour: this has to do with the basis upon which the behaviour of a leader is judged. The bases are whether the leader is one who emphasizes on production or on employees’ well being.
- Goals: Goals provides the basic sense of direction for organizational activities. They are either long or short term ends.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.