The Project File Details
- Name: THE EFFECT OF COMPUTER LITERACY POSSESSED BY SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS ON THEIR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT (A CASE STUDY OF SSIII STUDENTS IN ENUGU EAST L.G.A. OF ENUGU STATE)
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [180 KB]
- Length:  Pages
Due to the necessity of everybody to become computer literate in our society, have made us to carry out this project work title the effects of computer literacy possessed by Secondary School Students on their academic achievement in Enugu East Local Government Area of Enugu State.
Five research questions guided the study. The study has simple survey research design and area of the study is the SS III Students in Enugu East Zone.
Simple random sampling was used the sample of the study is made up of 10 schools randomly selected from 15 schools. In each schools, 20 students are sampled making a total number of 200 students randomly selected from 1500, and 5 teachers in each schools making up of 50 teachers randomly selected from 200 teachers.
The main instrument for data collection was questionnaire. The instrument was structured according to strongly agree, agree, disagree and strongly disagreed.
In our study, we find out that secondary school students are still lacking behind in the area of computer.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page – – – – – – – – i
Approval page – – – – – – – – ii
Dedication – – – – – – – – – iii
Acknowledge – – – – – – – – iv
Abstract – – – – – – – – – v
Table of contents – – – – – – – – vi-vii
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
- Background of the study – – – – – 1
- Statement of the problem – – – – – 3
- Purpose of study – – – – – – – 4
- Significance of the study – – – – – 5
- Scope of the study – – – – – – 6
- Research question – – – – – – 6
- Definitions of terms – – – – – – 6
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
- Introduction – – – – – – – 8
- Computer literacy – – – – – – 8
- Importance of literacy – – – – – – 9
- The computer age – – – – – – 10
- Information and communication technology – – 11
- The importance of computer in education – – 14
- Data processing – – – – – – – 15
- Application software – – – – – – 15
- Summary of reviewed literature – – – – 16
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHOD
- Introduction – – – – – – – 17
- Design of the study – – – – – – – 17
- Area of the study – – – – – – – – 18
- Population of the study – – – – – – – 18
- Sample and sample techniques – – – – – 18
- Instrument for data collection – – – – – 18
- Validation of instrument – – – – – – 19
- Reliability of instrument – – – – – – 19
- Method of data collection – – – – – – 19
- Method of data analysis – – – – – – 20
CHAPTER FOUR: PRESENTATION ANALYSIS AND
SUMMARY OF DATA
- Data presentation – – – – – – – 21
- Research Question 1 – – – – – – – 21
- Research Question 2 – – – – – – – 23
- Research Question 3 – – – – – – – 25
- Research Question 4 – – – – – – – 27
- Research Question 5 – – – – – – – 28
CHAPTER FIVE: DISCUSSION, CONDUSION,
RECOMMENDATION AND SUMMARY
- Discussion – – – – – – – – – 31
- Conclusion – – – – – – – – – 32
- Recommendation for action – – – – – – 33
- Findings – – – – – – – – – 33
- Summary – – – – – – – – – 34
- Suggestion for further research – – – – – 34
- Reference – – – – – – – – – 35
- Appendix – – – – – – – – – 36
- Background of the Study
There has been a trend towards the effects of computer literacy possessed by Secondary School Student on their achievement. The idea is to enable the present generation of school children at the Secondary School level to develop the use of computer technology. Computer is an electronic machine or device that accepts data as inputs and processes them electronically to produce the desired output or information with the aid of a set of instructions.
Essian (2008) stated that the traditional definition of literacy is the ability to read and write, listen and speak and enumerate. However to use and communicate in a diverse range of technologies. literacy has also been expanded to include skills in computer, basic numeric sound, still and moving images and graphical elements in digital based communication.
Oyedeji (1985) said that people use their acquired knowledge to promotes activities for academic performance or gains.
Many writers have therefore written in favour of the effect of computer literacy possessed by Secondary School Students on their academic achievement of computer science in secondary schools.
Robert (2005) defined computer literacy as an essential program in schools from elementary to high school which teaches students how to use computer and navigate some computer programs.
Emphasis has been laid on the following reasons:
- To enable the present generation of school children at all level, appreciate the potentials of the computer.
- To enable student to be able to use the computer in various work of life and later occupation.
- To enable students to develop the use of computer as teaching tool in all subject areas and to familiarize students with the use of computer technology.
- To expose the students to the latest scientific knowledge and skills.
- To bring about a computer literacy in Enugu East of Enugu State.
Computer science, which is an aspect required of computer students. Computer can be used in our secondary schools to teach physics, chemistry is expected that with the appropriate use of computer in teaching and learning of computer science students should be able to computer and enhance their interest in studying computer science.
It becomes necessary therefore, for the researcher to investigate for the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement.
- Statement of the Problem
The need to improve on computer literacy in Senior Secondary School Students on their academic achievement in Enugu East Local Government Area should not be over emphasized. The primary purpose of computer science study is to equip the students with the current method of skill acquisition and inculcating in them attitudes towards computer science.
Olaitan (1984) stated that the following would be the objectives of computer science study at the secondary school levels:
- To provide students with adequate skills to make a living and progressively advance on their academic performance.
- To enable students on how to acquire basic knowledge in computer science.
- To enable students develop interest in computer science.
- To prepare students for further studies in computer science.
Teachers have to adopt strategies and means that would help them achieve the desired objectives. It is against this background that necessitated the researchers to carry out this study on the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement with a view to finding out the true picture of how things are in our secondary schools.
- Purpose of the Study
This project aims at finding the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement in Enugu East Zone.
Specifically, the purposes of the project work are to find out:
- How many students know the general over view of computer.
- How many students know how to make use of Microsoft office package very well?
- How many students know how to use computer to communicate?
- How many schools are computerized?
- What are the student’s attitudes towards the use of computer system in teaching of computer science?
- Significance of the Study
When you carry out a research on how the effects of computer literacy possessed by secondary school students on their academic achievement in Enugu East Zone, you are balancing several sets of requirements.
Generally, you want to contribute great ideas that will be used to carry everybody along in terms of becoming computer literate. You also want to talk to some of the importance of computer in data processing, teaching and learning in the classroom and also for communication. Talking about this issue will motivate both the teachers and students that were not willing to learn computer to embrace it.
Therefore, in this research work we meant to strategies the way forward to all the teachers and students and also schools to buy the idea of not been contended with the little knowledge they have, there by becoming more hungry for more knowledge especially computer knowledge to enable them cope with the world of information technology, also this will help in the improvement of computer science in our society.
- Scope of the Study
The scope of the study is to find the effect of computer literacy possessed by secondary schools students in Enugu East Local Government Area of Enugu State.
- Research Questions
The following research questions guided this study:
- How many students know the general overview and meaning of computer system?
- How many students know how to use Microsoft office program?
- How many students know how to use internet?
- How many students are computerized?
- What are the student’s attitudes towards the use of computer system in teaching of computer science?
- Definition of Terms
- a) Computer: A computer is an electronic machine or device that accepts data as inputs and processes them electronically to produce the desired output or information with the aid of a set of instructions.
- b) Literacy : Involves the ability to use and communicate in a diverse range of technologies. While the traditional definition of technologies is the ability to read and communicate.
- c) Computer Literacy: Is the knowledge and skills required to use a computer as a problem-solving tool.
- d) Data Processing: This is the manipulation of a computer does in data in other transform it into information.
- e) Information Technology: The study or use of electronic equipment, especially computers for storing, analyzing and sending out information.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.