The Project File Details
- Name: THE IMPACT OF TRADE UNIONISM ON THE GROWTH OF PUBLIC SECTOR ORGANIZATION IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF ASUP ABIA STATE POLYTECHNIC, ABA)
- Type: PDF and MS Word (DOC)
- Size: [116 KB]
- Length:  Pages
This subject of labour unrest has been a characteristic feature in Nigeria. “The question often asked is whether trade Unions are necessities of another colonial legacy which length to be retrained out of expediency. This research work therefore focused on the impact of trade Unionism and growth of public sector organizations in Nigeria. A case study ASUP, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba chapter.
To justify the topic, the researcher consulted relevant textbooks on the topic as well as researches conducted by other researchers. Again, to be abreast of relevant event or development, the Internet was explored, and newspapers were consulted.
The researcher found out that trade unions are necessary for harmonious working relationship and industrial peaces in organizations and the society at large.
This is to say where industrial Union exists, it may not at all be possible for the employer to always turn down employers interest and request.
Therefore, the researcher concluded that trade unions are to the employees’ necessity, to the government a design, to society an accident and to the management expediency.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Background Of The Study
- Statement Of The Research Problem
- Objections Of The Study
- Significance Of The Study
- Theoretical Framework
- Essential Hypothesis
- Limitation And Scope Of The Study
- Clarification Of Concepts
- History Of Trade Union In Nigeria
- Registration Of Trade Unions
- Benefits Of Registration
- Objectives Of Trade Union
- Functions Of Trade Union
- Problems Of Trade Union In Nigeria
- Some Forms Industrial/Trade Union Action:
- 8 Causes Of Strike In Nigeria.
2.9 Trade/Industrial Dispute
- Cause Of Industrial Conflict (Trade Dispute)
- Dispute Settlement Procedures
- Summary Of Literature Review.
3.2 Research Design
- Area Of Study
Achievement/Policies Of Asup In Abia State Polytechnic
- Population Of The Study
- Method Of Data Analysis.
- Method Of Data Collection
- Instrument Of Data Collection.
Summary And Conclusion
- Summary Of The Study
Restatement Of Research Problem
Purpose Of Study
Summary Of Finding
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Trade Union is an association formed to regulate the terms and conditions of employment of workers. Before 1938 when trade union ordinance ushered in formal trade union activities, what looked like trade unions were in Nigeria in form of trade associations, craft and professional trade association called African Guilds and Craft Association.
The major difference between the craft and professional trade association has what is today known as trade Union is that trade associations were formed for the benefit of workers inform of lending money to workers an dexchange of tools. The association had welfare scheme of distressed members and attend social functions of members (Okenwa 2001:10)
Yesufu (1962:6) observed that group activities of the sort being deserved were strongly rooted in the tribal structures and were widely spread. The main functions of the trade associations were to organize mutual aid to distressed members and to regulate trade practices.
Some of the trade and professional associations that existed before formal trade union Movement were: mechanic Mutual aid, Artisans and laborers in the public works department (PWD) 1887, the Nigeria civil service union 1912. Nigeria Native railway Native staff union. 1919, etc . Trade Union activities later increased due to some reasons such as: The 1938 Trade Union ordinance. The General Defense Regulation, 1942, the General Strike of 1945 and other factors too numerous to mention.
Presently in Nigeria, we have industrial union of teachers (NUT), Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ) etc.
In the past two decades, there have been incessant industrial action in Nigeria due to agitations for better conditions of services by the trade unions. Most at time, the Government does not always reach at agreement with them thereby leading to strike always. A strike can be devastating as it could cripple the nerve of the country’s economy. The increment of fuel price from N45 to N52 by President Olusegun Obasanjo Administration let to four (4) day strike that lasted between 11th-14th October, 2004 which brought economic activities to a stand still. But after much negotiation between the Nigeria Labour congress (NLC) President comrade Adams Oshomole and the federal Government of Nigeria the price was brought down to N49 per liter.
Also presently the academic staff union of Universities (ASSU) went on strike on the 22nd oi June 2009 in line of the failure of the federal government to sign the agreement reached with them on December 2008. Despite the influence of trade union in Nigeria, there have been strike upon strike , why?
In an attempt to answer this question, this work is set out to find out if trade unionism has really aided the growth of public sector organizations in Nigeria Using the Academic staff Union of Polytechnic (ASUP), Abia State Polytechnic, Aba as a case study.
STATEMENT OF THE RESEARCH PROBLEM
This project work dwells on Trade Unionism and the growth of public sector organizations in Nigeria. A case study of Abia State Polytechnic (ASUP), Aba chapter. The study reviews and projects it looks at attempts by trade unions to improved work performance.
Trade Union focuses on the quality of their employees work life, therefore will sought better ways to motivate employees, make decision, allocate power and promote team work all in attempt to enhance performance.
In many organizations, monetary and non-monetary motivational factors are applied on the employees to increased greater performance.
In consideration of this, the problem is to find out whether trade union in Abia State Polytechnic, Aba takes care of things like:
Measuring of standard of functionality and reliability covering the quality of work life of the staff. Revelation of better ways of doing things such as employee’s motivation welfare decision-making. To determine to what extent of which the activities of trade union are reliable ways through which an organization can grow. The reactions of trade unions in time of dispute.
OBJECTIONS OF THE STUDY
The roles of trade unions cannot be over emphasized in any organization. The main purpose of this research work is to analyze and evaluate if there is actually any relationship between trade unionism and the growth if public sector organization in Nigeria with special references to Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics. Based on this main purpose of the study, the following objective are drawn:
- To identify how the activities of Trade Union affects the performance of employees in Abia State Polytechnic, Aba.
- To expose how much the management of Abia State Polytechnic, Aba could use trade Union as a tool for enhancing organization growth.
- To determine to what extent trade union enhances the job security of its members in Abia State Polytechnic, Aba.
- To evaluation how trade union has been able to settle dispute in the organization .
- to make relevant recommendations on the improvement of organizational growth in Abia State Polytechnic, Aba.
- To determine to what extent non-monetary motivation like education has enhanced organizational growth.
- To determine the extent the trade Union has inputs capacity development programmes to improve organizational growth in the school
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
In the last two decades, there has been incessant industrial action in Nigeria even now due to agitations for better condition of services since the possibility of adopting the condition of employment have need consistently high as a result of rising prices on consumers commodities in Nigeria. It is not surprising therefore that prices have tended to rise at an over increasing rate and in a climate of trade union militancy.
At the end of research work, one will find out that the trade union plays an important role in organizational growth and development especially in Nigeria where protection is given to the members against the social economic (i.e the government) who would have been treating their member as slaves and denying them of their rights.
Also, this research work is significant for corporate bodies like Abia State Polytechnic, Aba in that the subject matter trade Union and the growth of public sector in Nigeria and across both service rendering and profit oriented organization.. Knowing the impact of trade union will help in formulation polices that will keep workers motivated and bring out the best in them. With such focus , corporate bodies will be more result oriented.
Finally it is believed that the result of this research work and it’s relevance to societal needs will be of immense help to other research on such related subject matter.
Every good research work must be founded on one or two theories as the case may be. This particular research is built on the group Theory. This is the Frame work adopted in the generation and analysis of data.
The adoption of Group Frame work of analysis draws from the appreciation that trade union is the society constitute the focus of research represent a social group other groups in the Nigerian society.
Trade Unionism effort towards participating in the improvement and development of both workers and organizations thus, we could talk of trade union when discussing organizational growth in the public sectors in Nigeria. The application of Group theory exposes the basis of the state polytechnic in the pursuit of public sector organizational growth.
It also lays bare the reason why the union is a not willing to sit by and allow the institution (school) to carry out all activities without putting the staffers perspectives into consideration.
Ho: Education of Union members has no significant positive impact on the performance of staff as well as organizational growth.
Hi: Education of union members has significant positive impact on the performance of staff as well as organization growth.
Ho: Strike activity of the Union has no significant positive impact on the prompt payment of staff salaries as well as their performance creative impact on the prompt payment of staff salaries as well as their performance.
Hi: Strike activities of the union has significant positive impact on the prompt payment of staff salaries as well as their performance creative impact on the prompt payment of staff salaries as well as their performance.
Ho: Grievance Procedure is not an effective tool for settlement of trade dispute in the organization.
Hi: Grievance procedure is an effective tool for settlement of trade dispute in the organization.
LIMITATION AND SCOPE OF THE STUDY
Many difficulties were encountered in the course of carrying out this research. Among these are the following:
- TIME: Time constraints was a limitation considering other things, which were competing with the researchers. As a result, the investigation were limited to when reported in this work.
- UNEASY ACCESS TO AVAILABLE DATA: The research had a lot of problems collecting data from ASUP, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba. The reason being that some of the available documents needed for the research study were not easily released. This made things difficult a little for the researcher.
- FINACE: Money was also a hindrance in carrying out the research work to the desired extent. As a result of this constraint a lot of things were abridge. With sufficient money, the dept of this study could probably have been
CLARIFICATION OF CONCEPTS
In this study, the following terms were defined for the purpose of clarity.
- TRADE UNION: It is an association of wage earners for the purposes of maintaining or improving the conditions of their workers lives.
- STRIKE: A strike can be seen as temporary stoppage of work or services.
- ORGANIZATION: A group of people who are united for business or commercial purposes.
- MOTIVATION: This is a term employed generally for the phenomenon involved in the operations of incentives and drives that motivates.
- PERFORMANCE: This is a process of carrying out work and the ability to operate.
- GROWTH: The process for development or increasing in economic activity like profitability etc.
- PROCESSES: A series of steps (usually prescribed learned from experience or adopted for activity) used in understanding an action.
- EDUCATION: This is a system of training and instruction designed to give knowledge and development skills.
- JOB SATISFACTION: It is a general level; of contentment, affection and Positive thinking or feelings employees derives from performing a task.
- GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE: this is internal or voluntary marching, which is used for dispute settlement in an organization.
All project works, files and documents posted on this website, projects.ng are the property/copyright of their respective owners. They are for research reference/guidance purposes only and the works are crowd-sourced. Please don’t submit someone’s work as your own to avoid plagiarism and its consequences. Use it as a guidance purpose only and not copy the work word for word (verbatim). Projects.ng is a repository of research works just like academia.edu, researchgate.net, scribd.com, docsity.com, coursehero and many other platforms where users upload works. The paid subscription on projects.ng is a means by which the website is maintained to support Open Education. If you see your work posted here, and you want it to be removed/credited, please call us on +2348159154070 or send us a mail together with the web address link to the work, to [email protected] We will reply to and honor every request. Please notice it may take up to 24 - 48 hours to process your request.